Windows 10 randomly restarts or shuts down your computer, especially when you’re gaming? You are not the only one, many users report that their computer crashes and randomly restarts when they play games. The most common cause of an unintended Windows 10 restart is an overheated graphics card or driver issue. Again, virus infections, power issues or hardware failures can cause your Windows 10 computer to reboot. In this post, we have most of the working solutions to help you deal with the problem and fix shutting down the PC while playing.
Why does the Windows 10 PC automatically restart when playing games?
It’s very frustrating when Windows 10 accidentally loads during a game. To understand this issue, you need to know the reason why the Windows 10 PC reboots while playing the game. As mentioned earlier, an outdated video card driver, wrong power settings, a corrupt system file or the game you are playing is not compatible with the latest version of Windows 10 or higher.
Therefore, before applying a solution, check that your computer meets the minimum system requirements for the game. Also check that you have enough space on your Windows installation disk (usually C).
Run a full system scan with the latest antivirus program to detect any viruses or malware that may cause Windows 10 to freeze and restart while playing.
Allow the computer to cool down
When your laptop overheats, which can cause your PC to crash or reboot while playing a game because the CPU is overloaded, it produces energy and heat, automatically shutting down the Windows 10 PC to protect itself.
To avoid such situations, check that the heater is working properly. Clean the computer of dust and check the operation of all fans. Also, let the computer cool down and restart the game later to see if the computer still restarts or not.
Changing the power setting
Incorrect power settings may cause the computer to shut down or restart during playback. Adjust the power settings according to the instructions below and see if that helps.
- Open the Control Panel, search and select Power Settings,
- Here you can see your current meal plan, click on the link Change plan settings,
- Message: If the current power plan is set to Energy Savings, change it to High Performance or Balanced.
- In the Edit Plan Settings window, click the Edit Advanced Benefits Settings button.
- Next, expand Processor Power Management, then Minimum Processor Status and set a low value, for example. For example, 5% or 0%, and click OK.
- Then restart your computer and run the game again to see if the problem is resolved.
alt=Change energy plan settings width=404 height=442 data-ezsrc=https://image.windows101tricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/change-power-plan-settings.png />
Installing the latest Windows updates
There may be an error that causes Windows 10 to restart while playing. Microsoft regularly releases updates for Windows that add new features and fix bugs in previous versions. Installing the latest Windows update may have fixed the problem.
- Press Windows and I to open Settings, then go to Updates and Security.
- Go to the right side of the next window to see if there is a new update available. If it is available, click on it to download and update it.
- After you upgrade to the new version, restart your computer to apply it. And check if the computer always reboots during the game or not.
alt=Windows 10 update width=1291 height=828 data-ezsrc=https://image.windows101tricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Windows-10-KB4601319.jpg data-ez= />
Disable the automatic restart feature of Windows
Here is another effective way that helps most users to solve their computer reboot problem.
- Press Windows + R, type sysdm.cpl and then click OK to open the System Properties,
- Click on the Advanced tab and select the Startup and Recovery settings,
- Finally, uncheck the Auto restart box and click OK.
alt=Start Windows automatically width=679 height=595 data-ezsrc=https://image.windows101tricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/windows-automatically-restart.jpg />
Reinstall graphic card drivers
Graphics drivers play an important role when you play games on your computer. Graphics drivers are responsible for transferring information from the motherboard to the graphics hardware. If the installed graphics driver is outdated or missing, Windows 10 may reboot or shut down while playing. In this case, it may help to reinstall the graphics card driver.
- Download and install DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) from the official website.
- Start the computer in Safe Mode, open DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller), select the first option Delete and restart.
- This will completely remove the current drivers from your computer.
alt=DDU width=606 height=555 data-ezsrc=https://image.windows101tricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/DDU.png />
- Then start the computer, usually in safe mode.
- Press Windows key + X, select Device Manager, right-click on an empty slot and select Check for Hardware Changes. The standard drivers are installed.
- Also, go to the manufacturer’s website to download and install the latest graphics driver on your computer.
- Restart the computer and open all games to see if the problem is resolved or if the computer still reboots when you play.
Check power supply
The power supply unit (PSU) is primarily an important part of a PC that provides the necessary voltage. If the power supply is damaged or does not transmit power properly, errors will occur, ranging from a system freeze to a reboot. You can check the power supply yourself. If it really is the power supply, replace it with a new one.
Also, run the System File Checker utility that scans and restores missing corrupted system files and helps solve the problem when corrupted system files cause Windows 10 to restart accidentally.
Also read :
to report this message
frequently asked questions
Why does my Windows 10 PC keep rebooting?
This can be due to a number of issues, including corrupt drivers, faulty hardware, and malware infections, to name a few. It can be difficult to determine exactly what keeps the computer in a reboot cycle. However, many users have reported that the problem occurred after installing a Windows 10 update.
How do I fix a computer that restarts randomly?
Why does my computer keep rebooting?
Processor overheated. … And yes, an overheated processor can lead to a random and repeated restart of the computer. To solve this problem, you can open your computer and clean the CPU. Make sure you have cleaned the CPU fan and all surrounding parts.
Feedback,pc restarts while gaming windows 10,pc restarts when playing games,pc restarts when installing games,pc restarts when playing certain games,computer restarts when playing games (not overheating),computer restarts only when playing games,Privacy settings,How Search works,computer restarts when playing games power supply,windows 10 random restart when playing games